This yogurt ice cream is incredibly easy to make… and quick, too. And if you use purchased yogurt, there are no bowls to wash because all the ingredients can be mixed right in the yogurt container.
We’ve made coffee, vanilla, peach, and strawberry yogurt ice creams using this method, and all are keepers… although the coffee and vanilla versions are everyone’s favorites.
Here is the recipe.
- Start with a pint of WHOLE MILK plain yogurt. Sometimes I use purchased yogurt, but usually I use the yogurt I make myself. The whole milk yogurt is necessary to achieve the creamy consistency… low-fat yogurt will not give the same results.
- Add one teaspoon of vanilla and a scant one-half cup of sugar. Depending on your tastes, you may want to adjust the amount of sugar up or down.
- Mix the sugar and vanilla into the yogurt, stirring only enough to blend.
- For the coffee version, add one tablespoon of instant coffee granules… or for the fruit yogurt ice creams, approximately one cup of pureed strawberries or peaches.
- Freeze in an automatic ice cream maker… and enjoy!
A recent favorite… coffee yogurt ice cream with added chopped walnuts.