The combination of damp weather and a new mulching of wood chips created a massive crop of mushrooms around and underneath our hostas. We knew there were a lot of mushrooms because they were beginning to crowd out the hostas, but when we started to pull them up we discovered there were even more than we had thought. We filled a large tote almost immediately… and then filled a second one. In just a few minutes more we had filled the wheelbarrow.
I have no idea if the mushrooms were edible or not. Some of the whiter ones looked and smelled exactly like the mushrooms I buy in the stores. I think they MIGHT have been safe to eat. Mixed in with those were some odd textured creamy-colored mushrooms, brownish ones, and a few bright yellow mushrooms that LOOKED poisonous. We were careful about even handling those.
This photograph shows just that first day’s haul. We pulled mushrooms for several more days after that and filled the wheelbarrow full a second and third time and almost full a fourth time before the mushrooms finally stopped producing.
Regardless, it was an impressive crop. If only we could grow the edible mushrooms that easily!