For the past four years some of our winter wood supply has come from the woods across the road from our house… but we have cleared out most of those storm-damaged trees and we are always looking for a new firewood source. The price for hardwood keeps going up… currently hardwood that is stove length, split, and delivered is selling for $300 or more per cord. The standard for “stove length” and “split” in this area seems to be huge chunks that are often more than sixteen inches long, even when we have asked for a smaller size, which means that when we have purchased firewood in the past, we have had to do a lot of re-splitting and re-cutting to end up with firewood that would work in our cook stove. Since we have to do all that splitting and cutting anyway, we have always wondered if a better solution would be a load of logs.

Ordering a load of logs turned out to be more complicated than we thought it would be because very few wood people sell uncut logs, and the few who do make only very local deliveries. We made multiple telephone calls, asked around, and followed any lead anyone gave us, but got nowhere. Then one day at the feed store another customer was talking about someone he knew who had just purchased a load of logs, and he was willing to try to get a telephone number from this person for us. That number led to another number and another number… and finally to someone who did sell logs and who would deliver them to us.

We ordered our logs that same afternoon and they told us to expect delivery in approximately two weeks. We would pay $700 for a full truckload of logs, which they told us would be somewhere between seven and nine cords of wood… but that we could count on a very generous eight cords. To buy eight cords of pre-cut firewood would cost us $2,400, so it seemed worth the $1,700 savings to buy the logs and do the cutting and splitting ourselves.

Early in the morning on delivery day we received a telephone call from the driver of the truck, who said he was on the way to our house and wanted to verify the directions. About an hour later the logs were here. It WAS a very full truckload… several of the neighbors commented on the size of the load as they waited behind the truck during the forty-five plus minutes it took until all the logs were unloaded. Everyone watching was impressed with the driver’s skill as he maneuvered the logs through the trees and over the ferns before gently placing them in the open area at the far end of our meadow. Incredibly, he managed to unload all of the logs without damaging any of the trees or leaves.

My husband made a rough count of the logs as they came off the truck… nearly a hundred… and most of the logs were about eighteen feet long. With the cutting, splitting, and stacking, we had a lot of hard work ahead. It started to rain really hard just minutes after the logs were unloaded, and rained steadily for days… but guess what we were doing that weekend after the sun came out again!